It is now the collective responsibility of governments, individuals, and businesses to promote and implement green initiatives in manufacturing industries such as Metal Fabrication, given growing environmental concerns around the globe. There are many lessons to be learned from incidents such as the Benton fireworks disaster in Tennessee, and the PEPCON disaster in Henderson, Nevada. Sheet metal fabrication is not an eco-friendly industry. This is why it is important for the industry to continue to address environmental concerns and support the go green initiative. This will enable them to achieve environmental sustainability, which is the urgent need. According to the US Department of Commerce, Sustainable Manufacturing is defined as “manufacturing practices that minimize negative environmental effects, conserve energy, and natural resources, and are safe for workers, communities, and consumers, and are economically sound.”
The good news? It is now that sustainable production is a priority in the industry. Welding is now considered a green-collar job. Metal fabrication companies continue to look for sustainable alternatives.
The industry’s environmental sustainability is affected by key factors
- Use of raw materials that mainly consist of non-renewable resources like ore and minerals.
- Hydraulic fluid, solvents and cutting agents are required for sheet metal fabrication machines. These substances pose a threat to the environment as well as human health.
- The Metal Fabrication process consumes a lot more energy.
- Fabricators create a lot of non-degradable waste in the manufacturing process.
The above list is not exhaustive, but it is important for Metal fabrication green manufacturing companies that they improve the production process to avoid safety and environmental hazards. Researchers are working on improved metal recycling systems and ways to minimize the damage caused by toxic chemicals and fluids. They also seek out less-energy intensive technologies. Additionally, more environmentally-friendly welding techniques such as vacuum soldering, friction welding and diffusive welding are being increasingly adopted. These are just a few of the helpful tips for professionals working in metal fabrication companies.
- Train with sincerity and make sure you are familiar with all the SOPs. Train new recruits with the same sincerity.
- Make sure your office, production area, and equipment are clean and well-organized.
- Get a good understanding of the technology and the materials used. Also, be aware of the requirements for reducing errors and waste.
- You should select the appropriate lubricants with the correct quantity to reduce friction and thus the scrap.
- A sound quality control system should be in place, with all relevant quality-control instruments. To ensure compliance with international standards organizations (such as ASME, ANSI and ASME), be aware of the mill test report (MTR). Specific standards.
- To prevent equipment failures and increase employee productivity, monitor and document the manufacturing process.
We have highlighted some of the ways that the industry can become more sustainable. The above mentioned measures can also increase the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of operations, which is why the benefits are numerous. It is encouraging to see the many government agencies that are eager to assist Metal Fabrication Companies in creating an environment friendly ecosystem. The U.S. Department of Commerce and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency created the Green Suppliers Network in order to assist small- and medium-sized companies in their green initiatives.
Metal Fabrication is also a supporter of green manufacturing. Metal fabrication is necessary in the production and installation of natural gas lines, wind turbines, and solar panels. These systems are essentially eco-friendly and contribute greatly to the global green initiatives.
It is clear that metal fabrication businesses are more efficient and cost-effective when they can provide safe work environments and a comfortable environment. The benefits of green manufacturing or environmental sustainability are multifaceted. Organizations cannot afford to be complacent.